Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Checking out a hunch

Remember that poster I brought to class and asked, "Is this a story?" and, truthfully, none of us could tell?

The poster advertised a talk by Eduardo A. Vasquez, Ph.D., from the University of Missouri on "The Effects of Alcohol, Cognitive Load, and Provocation Salience on Triggered Displaced Aggression."

Remember, I said I wasn't sure because the language was inpenetrable but I suspected this was something about what sets off campus rage and terrorist incidents? We decided that you could find out by calling the Psych Department or checking online on the subject and the speaker or talking to him directly.

So, for the heck of it, I did all of that to see what I could find out.

Online, I found that Vasquez is on the board of something called the Society for Terrorism Research. Hmmm, my hunch there is a story here, or at least a source who should be cultivated feels stronger. I also looked up definition for phrases, "Cognitive Load," which turns out to mean basically: too much information too fast and "Provocation Salience" which means assaulting or springing forward.

The people in the Pysch Department didn't really know anything; they'd just put up the signs, they said. One woman there very nicely asked around but couldn't find anyone who'd been to the talk to tell me.

So I emailed Dr. Vasquez and politely inquired if he could explain for a layman a talk that I knew was intended for Psych experts. Here's excerpts from his response:

Dear Rosemary, Thank you for your interest in my work. I am happy to discuss the phenomena I study, though I don't know if I can explain much via e-mail. Yes, the talk was aimed at psychologists, and I condensed 2 studies. As a result,it was full of the unfortunate jargon that puts people off. So, I completely understand your students.

Basically, I conduct research on...triggered displaced aggression. Imagine that somebody provoked you, but you don't do anything about it. You get angry and would like to retaliate,but can't (for whatever reason). Your emotional reaction (anger, irritation, etc.)lasts for several minutes. If you encounter a second person who provides another provocation, you can become very aggressive against him/her, even if it's only a minor instigation. So, there are two provocations.

Several factors can further increase aggression in these situations. For instance,although your anger dissipates after several minutes, you might keep recalling the original provoking incident and thus keep anger levels high or easy to remember. Personality types who ruminate or think a lot about provoking incidents might be at risk of excessive aggression if they have additional personality characteristicsthat distort their thinking. A combination of personality and the situations that produce displaced aggression might put such individuals at risk for commiting terrible acts of violence.

Oppressive regimes that do not promote reasonable standards of living might help ininducing and/or maintaining negative affect/emotions in many citizens. Some of these citizens might blame others for their plight and attack them following certain offenses that would normally not produce high levels of aggression and violence.

To be honest, it is still unclear if the psychological processes that produce displaced aggression also produce mass killings and terrorist acts, but I suspect they do in certain situations that the social sciences have not yet examined.

I certainly want to investigate the potential links. I hope this help a bit. Please feel free to ask me more questions. I like the exchange of ideas and the chance to discuss my research.

Sincerely, Eduardo A. Vasquez

What do you think?

No comments: