Thursday, February 7, 2008

Words of wisdom

Pat Yack after decades in the news business this month departed his post as editor of the Jacksonville, Fla. Times-Union newspaper. Long-time newspeople are dropping out of the business in large numbers these days as younger people come in with fresh ideas and techniques. It was one of the things I most liked about the profession when I began back in the '70s. Seniority doesn't count, only your ideas and the stories you produce.

So, if he were giving advice to students just starting in journalism what would he say? Yack made this list.

1. Habla Espanol (I would add: or Arabic, Chinese, Swahili, French)
2. Take three courses in business: fundamentals; finance/banking; real estate
3. Work at the school paper or radio station
4. Study whatever you have a passion for now, because you won't have the chance again when busy with work and family

1 comment:

Estefania R said...

"Seniority doesn't count, only your ideas and the stories you produce."

Wow, it's weird how much that comment scares me and gives me self-assurance, all at the same time. Assuming that I pursue this whole journalism thing, it's a pleasant feeling to know that I can do it however long I want. I just need to make sure that I stay on top of my game, keep my ideas fresh, continue writing well...and do everything else that makes a good journalist.

But how easy is that really? Not that easy at all, I think. In a profession that undergoes so many changes, seeing as how we are living in the information age, it's hard to set yourself apart. Easier said than done, and it is definately not easy to be quick on your feet, something that is crucial in this profession. You either got it, or you don't. Sometimes I think I don't.

But Pat Yack's list makes me feel better.
1. Espanol es mi primer idioma, y yo todavia lo hablo, leo, y escribo muy bien. [Translation: Spanish is my first language, and I still speak, read, and write it very well. I have to work on my Arabic, Chinese, Swahili and French, though.]
2. Luckily I'm still in college and I still have time to take such business courses.
3. Once I have more confidence in my ability to write articles, I will see about that whole joining the school paper thing...
4. And lastly, Latin Caribbean Studies is both my minor and a passion of mine. I'm studying it now, as I live the single/ carefree life of student. But I do think that there is always room to learn, it's a lifelong thing and I'll always be learning about my passions.

Pat Yack seems like a pretty smart guy, hopefully he's right and all this advice will come in handy.