Friday, February 8, 2008

Explaining without making readers and viewers feel stupid


This is often the job of a journalist -- to educate but not with a professorial tone. This piece from the Voice of America explains the "primary process" without using that deadly dull expression or any big words. It is clear and it is short. Not like a textbook.

I have qualms about referring you to a story from VOA because it is something of a public relations tool for the US. VOA explains this country to the world overseas but with a positive or affirmative slant.
Still, this piece is aiming more for clarity than for propaganda, so check it out. I particularly like the way the writer tell us right out --can you see where? -- that picking candidates to run for President is a crazy and complicated system. As a reader I am allowed to think, "Ah, no wonder I can't follow this. It's not because I'm stupid that I don't get all this voting."
(image from www.mclib.org)

1 comment:

Bridget Streeter said...

I think the reporter does a really good job of trying to explain such a complicated system without confusing the reader more. After reading this article I can better understand how the primaries work, and I was very interested to know that they didn't start until the late 60's. I had always thought they began earlier than that. You expressed concern about showing us this article due to the biased nature of the VOA, but I think the reporter does a good job at giving the facts and leaving his opinion out of it. I always like to learn more about how our government work and this wa very insightful.