Monday, February 4, 2008

A good idea -- but a bad source



Check out this link please to see a photo-essay that has been circulating around the Internet. Two friends in journalism jobs sent to me and I've found it in several blogs I look at.

http://m3.youneed2see.com/piles/?s=foodforaweek

I wanted you all to see this because it so cleverly illustrates the maxim that you don't always need words to tell a story. In just a few selected pictures and captions this piece grabs its viewer with a powerful message.

But there's a big problem with it. I cannot tell you whether the story told in these pictures is true or bogus? Do typical families in each of the countries used here really spend this amount per week? When was this comparison made? What were the rules of this story -- did the families get money to buy the food depicted? Most importantly, who did this story?

No where is the source of this information revealed. (I looked; if I'm incorrect and you can find it, please let us know otherwise.) How can you trust or believe this story?

In the end, I'm putting Foodforaweek here not only to suggest to you that photos, sound, smells, texture all can and should be used in storytelling but to warn you.

There is a lot of made up and unreliable material on the Internet. Do not pick up information to use without thinking about it, re-reporting it and checking it out thoroughly.

1 comment:

Hila said...

The second I looked at those photos, I felt sorry for those who cannot afford as much food as the families in the first two pictures. Fortunately enough, I read your blog right after and understood that it may not be completely accurate. However, I do believe that no matter when these pictures were taken, there will always be families with a lot of food and families with close to none.